Saturday, April 19, 2014

Mustang 50th Anniversary Half Marathon - LAS VEGAS

Viva Las Vegas! I knew as soon as I heard about this run that I had to find a way to make it happen. #1 it's a race centered around the 50th Anniversary of the Mustang... #2 it was held in Las Vegas at the speedway. I had no idea how I was going to make it work but thanks to my cupcake business blossoming I had some extra cash and made it happen. So my 5th Half Marathon was going to be this one and I was going to rock it!
Now I've been to Vegas at least 20 times, it's always fun but it's not new to me anymore. But I talked Rachel into doing to race with me and it was her first time in Las Vegas. It's always fun to see someone's reaction the first time they are there. We did way too much walking around the day before the race, but there was a lot to see. 




The weather was dry and about 60 degrees at the start of the race, but it got hot quick once out running on the asphalt in the desert. I think it was 70 degrees when we finished but at points it felt way hotter. We went into the race thinking that after the hills of Fairview we would certainly be faster on the flat route. Unfortunately that was NOT the case. It's been so cool and humid in Texas that my body was not ready for the dryer warm climate. I would say I easily consumed 1 1/2 gallons of water/powerade during the race. I mean it was the Mojave Desert after all. 
 
 
  But there were Mustangs to look at along the route as well thankfully.

I must say though without Rachel I don't know how I would have finished this race. This was the first time ever that just sitting down on the ground and letting someone come pick me up crossed my mind more than once. I am not a quitter but on this day I seriously considered it. It was my slowest half marathon to date. My 5th race was my slowest. But as with each challenge I learn something about myself. I learned on this race that even though I didn't train well enough, and was not ready for the heat, that good running music and a good running partner can make hell in the dessert .... more fun.
We were totally faking it for this picture. And I was about to cry in the next one.
I didn't rock it...BUT WE DID IT!   I DID IT!   And for at least a little while I'm backing off the long distances. I do plan on picking them back up after the summer but for now I'm done.

Oh and I must add that Sparkle Skirts are the ultimate running apparel. We saw several sparkle sisters along the course which was another good distraction and easy conversation starter.



No comments:

Post a Comment