Sunday, April 27, 2014

Passing judgement while being passed





If there's one thing I've learned while running it's to never ever judge another runner! This goes for all workouts really. You have no idea where they are in their personal journey. It could be their first day, or 10th year. They could have logged 5 miles or 5000 and there's no way to tell by just passing by, or being passed in my case. I find that I am frequently judging myself while I work out and often wonder what others must think of me. It's stupid but I wonder if others get inspired or if they are just thinking "my god is that chick going to make it".


I was thinking as I ran yesterday about why I run. I run to be healthy for my kids and to provide an example of the things they can accomplish if they work towards a goal. I run for me, both my physical appearance and my sanity improve after each mile. I run to disprove the things "I could never do"... I once told myself I could never be a runner, that I could never run 3 miles, never run a Half Marathon, etc. So I set new goals for myself, I push my comfort zone, and I work on improving.

So when I'm being passed by the 80 year old woman who looks like she is barely moving, or the 6 year old girl running with her dad, I like to turn around and look at those behind me. I know that every person in front of me and behind me all has their own story and their own reasons that they "run". Who am I to judge?

Here are some photos of my personal journey:
First ever 5k (which turned into a 10k by accident but that's another story) October 2011
 My first Half Marathon - February 2012



 Return to running - First 5k 6 weeks after having my daughter - March 2013
My 5th Half Marathon - April 2014  And my most recent 5k 4/26/14








No comments:

Post a Comment